BWJ T.R.I.P.S. PROGRAM --- All active 3 and 5 year BWJ subscribers are eligible to participate in our FREE canoe trip planning service . Consult one-on-one with BWJ Publisher/wilderness guide Stu Osthoff. I spend 8+ weeks each season paddling the BWCAW/Quetico through my Grand Slam Guide Service. My 35 years of association with thousands of BWJ readers means I can probably help with your next trip. Typically, I can share advice/recommendations on campsite rankings, proven fishing spots by species, portage trail conditions, water levels, where to find solitude, blueberries, historical sites etc.
BWJ TRIPS ELIGIBILITY: All active 3 and 5 year BWJ subscribers are eligible to participate in TRIPS. Subscribers with 1 or 2 year subscriptions may extend their subscription to the 3 or 5 year level at any time to immediately participate in BWJ TRIPS. Remember, when it comes time to renew your BWJ subscription, sign up for 3 or 5 years so you can take advantage of the BWJ TRIPS program for all of your canoe trip adventures.
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BWJ TRIPS PROGRAM, CAREFULLY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Select your route and email a general description- entry point, major lakes, exit point to
- Wait for Stu to email back “Yes I can help” or “No I can’t help”. Please understand I am only comfortable giving advice for what I have personally experienced first hand.
- If Stu can help, go to the BWJ TRIPS Questionnaire and fill it out as completely as possible. Print it out.
- If you already have a Mckenzie, Fisher or Voyageur map(s) of your route, mail the maps, questionnaire and a self addressed envelope with sufficient return postage to the address below.
- If you do not have maps of your route, you can order them from the BWJ Voyageur Trading Post. We sell all Mckenzie and Fisher BWCAW/Quetico maps. If ordering online, include a message that the maps are for a BWJ TRIPS report. Meanwhile- you still need to mail the questionnaire. A regular shipping charge for the maps will be added to your invoice so no SASE is needed in this case. If ordering your maps by phone (1-800-548-7319), tell the staff the maps are for a BWJ TRIPS report so they can be directed to Stu for him to mark up before they are shipped to you. Again – you still need to send the BWJ TRIPS questionnaire so I know what you’re interested in on your trip.
PLEASE NOTE** I personally prefer McKenzie maps for the BWJ TRIPS Program. Their larger scale makes it easier for me to accurately mark specific locations. Islands, points, bays etc. are more distinguishable on a larger scale. McKenzie also has more of the BWCAW lakes depth charted which is a real asset for fishing reefs and structure. Black and white photocopies are no longer acceptable, as it is too hard for me to read and mark them.
Please allow 4 weeks for your BWJ TRIPS report to be processed. Try to submit your BWJ TRIPS request between January and April. From mid-May through November I am “in the woods”. Do not wait until summer .
It is my pleasure to share what I can to help you enjoy your wilderness canoe trip. Thank you very much for being a loyal BWJ subscriber.
Maps can be ordered online or by calling BWJ at 1-800-548-7319
Mail maps, questionnaire and SASE to BWJ TRIPS 9396 Rocky Ledge Road Ely, MN 55731
Stu Osthoff , Publisher